lead0

crossover game

which systems would work best for  

30 members have voted

1. 1. which systems would work best for

• vampire+werewolf
    • vampire+ mage
    • werewolf +mage

im going to be running a game that is pretty much evenly split between to books... there will be politics but the games in not based in the politics...the character prble spend more time roaming th city then in Eysilem

Donor

Yeah, I'd go for Mage and Werewolf, especially if the Mages were Thyrsus.

Vampires could work, but I can't see why they would want to work together. A generalization would be that Gangrel would be the easiest route to go.

I'd go with the Awakened and Uratha cooperating the most. The Kindred are kind of dead and angry. The others have a bit more in common with each other, and some similar goals (the Thyrsus and Arrows most of all would have sympathy with Uratha in general, but other splats on both sides would have similar agendas).

Curator

Somebody went through voting on things yesterday and brought a few of these back to life... :)

My opinion, now as it was a couple years ago, is that there is no best crossover pairing/grouping. There are some obvious and easy links but ANYTHING is possible given the uniqueness of the characters involved. Anyone, of any splat combination, can be the friend or enemy of anyone else, of any splat combination. It all comes down to the individual(s) involved and not some predetermined animosity or allegiance because they are of a given splat.

I think that the issue with any crossover is always going to be the motive behind running such a game.

Is it because the players can't agree on one game to play and the ST is forced to try and please everyone (in which case "Which combo works best?" is going to be a pointless question because you'll be forced to run for whatever the players choose anyway...)?

Or has the ST already got a plot in mind which caters to a mixed group? In which case, again the question is moot, because whether or not the game is successful will depend on the quality of the story the ST has cooked up and how the players take on their roles within the story.

Personally I wouldnt run a mixed group game, simply because it robs you of the chance to really delve into the background that makes each game special. How can your werewolf player work on developing his territory and ingratiating himself with/appeasing the local spirit courts properly if he's constantly running round trying to get to grips with the Consillium thing his "pack"mates have to sort out? For me it would be like diluting each of the games in the hope of producing something coherent.

Thats not to say someone else couldnt make it work - if I had the time to run a chronicle where players had multiple roles, and I could develop a story which could be approached from the different splat views separately, but ultimately leading to a combined conclusion, I could see that being quite a chronicle (or three...). But it would take a lot of work and a very strong storyline.

Donor

Werewolves are much like Mages, they are good crossover for any game in the NWoD. And better yet have the means to NOT be the main protagonist's whipping boys. So no, I shall not vote in your limited poll because I don't want to be responsible for a result that will be horribly wrong. I could figure out a way to cross each race in the game in a fairly balanced way. But fact is Mages and Werewolves are the easiest to do no matter the circumstance. Though it could be argued that Vampires and Changelings are just as flexible. Prometheans, no sorry....Hunters yes and no dependent on tier.

Donor

I know jack-nothing about Mage, except what I've read in the Chicago uber-book.

I've read V:tR and W:tF more than 3 times cover to cover (yeah I read rulebooks like most people read novels).

I have never read the Mage corebook.

But from what I've read in the Chicago book, Mages and Uratha are more compatible in a crossover setting, given their (apparently) similar points regarding the Shadow.

Likewise, having JUST finished reading the Mage section of Chicago, I could SO easily incorporate SO much of the "mage-stuff" into a W:tF chronicle (regarding the Shadow aspect of Chicago).

Yeah yeah, the Dragons and Crones are also "spiritual", but I have yet to see anything in the corebooks (which is all I have) that explains HOW those two covenants can even come CLOSE to the Uratha and Mages regarding spiritual manipulation.

Vampires are dead humans with possible immortality and powers.

Uratha and Mages are spiritual beings that can directly interact with the spiritual aspects of the region they reside in.

Of course, not having read the Mage corebook, I'm probably completely out of the loop on this and likely completely wrong.

Just my opinion.

Curator
Yeah yeah, the Dragons and Crones are also "spiritual", but I have yet to see anything in the corebooks (which is all I have) that explains HOW those two covenants can even come CLOSE to the Uratha and Mages regarding spiritual manipulation.

Vampires are dead humans with possible immortality and powers.

The Ordo Dracul and Crones books add some interesting features to those Covenants that give Vampires some more "playability" in the spiritual arena. There's also a wonderfully interesting Bloodline in Shadows of Mexico called the Dead Wolves that originated from an Embraced Wolf-Blooded... it's a nice "rubbing shoulders" flavor that is made to run with Uratha.

Donor

I have to agree with Kumiko, Anodyr and Krowe.

And to strengthen the point, I'd like to point out that the fact that Vampires have much less to do with spirits, also means that conflicts between Vampires and Werewolves are less likely. Mages and Werewolves seemingly common ground, also means they are fighting over similar resources. I can easily envision a crossover in which Vampires are in need of Werewolves' expertise with spirits and a Coterie is sent to negotiate a deal. Or a game where the Forsaken hire a coterie of Vampires because of their unspiritual nature...

And while I share Anodyr's dislike for Crossovers, I must admit that after a few years of play, the possibility of mixing things up can be a blessed change.

Depending on the group and ST, any crossover could theoretically work. While mages may be "fighting" over the same resources as the werewolves, they can also be sharing common ground in fighting similar enemies for a potentially shared resource.

Of course, we can't leave the vampires out. I can see some pretty nasty ways a vampire, with it's hundreds of years of life experience and mind-altering abilities, can almost ruin a werewolf's locus or bulldoze a mage's sanctum. It could promote "fair play" as the two living sides can master the spirit but have their limitations in the physical.

I have seen some decent Mage/Vampire crossovers in OWoD, and I can't see why it wouldn't work in NWoD. Also, with the new approach to Vampires/Werewolves, I can see that crossover working as well.

Oh, and let us not forget that NWoD starts everyone out as a mortal before they change over to their supernatural side, which levels the playing field a great deal for all sides and makes a nice little field for a crossover-party to work together at the start (which is what my ST is doing with 2 mages, 2 vampires and a werewolf).

Then again, I am the oddball that likes crossing over systems just to see what happens next. Call me sick if you will, but that's my thought.

--Crion

I will get little bit out of topic and I will say that I ran a Chronicle with ALL ,yes ALL , the super critters .

In the end strangely remained the usual trio studges , a blood talon rahu ,an Acanthus and a Nosferatu.

Thanks to the topic I am able to celebrate my first 50 posts with this 51st post :

YAAAAAAAYYYY !!! HURAAAAAA !!!! YUPIEEEEEE !!!!!

One more to: Werewolf + Mage

Although I don't see why there is a problem doing crossovers. Say you have a werewolf pack who got seriously crippled and lost some members. They are in desperate need of an outside help. Preferably not werewolf as they would just claim their territory while they are weaker. Afraid of humiliation and losing ground you can consider:

Have 2-3 werewolf players backed up with 2-3 mages/vampires. Mages more likely in my games.

We don't play vampire often and I never tried storytelling it. Meeting a werewolf in any manner would probably still make my character run with celerity. I might be dead and immortal while sucking blood but I also want to stay that way. :)

Donor

yeah we are finishing up an epic crossover campaign at the moment

its all books really, though the main ones are the core three (V:tM, M:tA & W:tA).

In saying that one PC is a caitiff, one is a genetically engineered supersoldier and the other is an Immortal (as in Highlander....dont groan hes a very old character and we have written our own Highlander rules which work very nicely in crossover).

The end is nigh, the Wyrm is crippled, Weaver is strong and with the 'Nochracy's help will probably win...discussion here if you got ideas or anything, mulling over how to pull it all off

I never found it as hard as some to do crossover, maybe cause its all ive ever really known. It works fine, at least fine enough for a fairly rules light game like WoD

Donor

A year later:

Not playing this campaign due to one of our players being incarcerated (unfairly in my opinion)

We are currently running a Dark Ages campaign set in Hellenistic Greece between the 2nd and 3rd Punic wars.

1 Cappadocian turned Baalite demon thrall

1 Zoroastrian Al-I-Batin (no such thing as Islam yet)

1 Reliquary bound Demon from Devils Due (bound into a bronze breastplate and worn by the cappy)

1 Valdaerman viking of the Svalahaldor camp (necromancers)

Fun and games :)