hybridfive

Stormlords need help

Can Stormlords receive aid (such as medical attention) from others  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Can Stormlords receive aid (such as medical attention) from others

• Yes
    • No
    • It's more complicated than yes or no (and explain)

I think, having played a Stormlord and having run a few games with a Stormlord Elodath, another who was an Ithaeur, and a final one was a Rahu ... it's not about being a tough guy.

Blood Talons are the tough guys. A Storm Lord just needs to get the job done. Lover was murdered by a pack of Pure? Grieve, because you did lose your love, but don't let that take you off-track of making sure that infestation of Ridden doesn't turn that slum into yet another Wound in the city.

As an Ithauer, it's more of knowing what you can do, and what you can't do. Don't be so cocky to say you can do this rite to bind the spirit and just screw it all up because you don't understand the complexity of said rite.

What I try to coax the Storm Lords I do herd about is that they don't need to bluster or preen or demand the lion's share. They already know from the simple fact that they passed the tribal initiation that they've got what it takes. They don't need to dash out there and prove it over every little thing.

*shrug* Course, it's more a house-rule slant.

Curator
Having just gotten my hands on Tribes of the Moon, I think it is very helpful it getting one's mind around the various Tribal Bans, particularly the Storm Lords. The key is the implication of the word Weakness. It isn't about not letting others see you when you are hurt or acting like you are hurt but in not letting them see that hurt impede you any more than it should. A Storm Lord whose just had the love of his life murdered is allowed to howl in grief and express sadness... but he'll be damned if he let's that grief get in his way.

Being in a Pack, even as its leader, means having and accepting help. But as that leader your every action should inspire your Pack to carry on rather than give up.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with this pretty much word for word.

The only thing I'd disagree about is with the example; he's allowed to howl in grief... but only in private. He can't take an action that might lead his pack to think its affecting him and slowing him down. When they're there, he's got to push it away and show he's still all he was and is.

Although, of course, in a pack that puts a heavy emphasis on emotional wellbeing, such a display might be considered showing weakness as his packmates might intpretate it as an inability to mourn. This is all very contextual I think. I mean, Digital Raven said that a Storm Lord acting like everything is fine when they've got an injury is showing a weakness in pride and I'd agree... but not if he's still the best person in the job and he's trying to reassure his packmates.

Donor
The only thing I'd disagree about is with the example; he's allowed to howl in grief... but only in private. He can't take an action that might lead his pack to think its affecting him and slowing him down. When they're there, he's got to push it away and show he's still all he was and is.

Nah, not necessarily

Witness this scenario-

A Stormlord Rahu, howling, screaming into the night, venting his anger, his hurt. His one chance at true love destroyed by the actions of the Pure. Tearing the ground with his claws, rending the night with his howls. His grief is something no human could understand. His love was beyond human bounds and now his grief is as well.

His Elodoth packmate gently walks up to him as he sheds his tears onto the earth.

"Do you need more time?" the judge asks, understanding the need for grief.

The Stormlord looks up, eyes flashing in anger, grief and strength.

"No!" he practically barks "No!"

"You need to grieve" the Elodoth says, "We need not attack tonight. We can delay this by a few days".

"I am grieving!" the Stormlord screams to the sky "I will grieve til the end of my days!". Then his throat lowers into a growl, a menace, a threat. "But if you think that's going to get in my way" he says as he matches his eyes to the Elodoth, pushing him down by sheer force of will, "then you are sadly wrong"

The halfmoon winces, losing eye contact and the Stormlord looks up and sees the rest of the pack watching. They see his tears, they see his bloodshot eyes, they see his pain.

"Hear me" he howls in the Firsttongue "HEAR ME! We attack tonight!"

He howls victory into the night, and the Cahalith matches his howl. Within seconds the pack is also howling in discordant notes, ready for their Alpha to lead them to victory.

Ready to follow the Alpha who can overcome ANYTHING.

Note that the entire pack "witnessed" his weakness.

But they didn't actually witness any weakness on his part.

No matter what happens, they are the ones who will see the job done, whether they have lost a loved one, a family. a limb, a major resource, etc.

Witnessing weakness is simply nothing more than others witnessing you giving in to circumstance.

JMO, nothing more.

Another one

Jason Water Rider lost his right hand a month ago. Some kind of eldritch blade...all he knows is that he hasn't been able to regrow his right hand (or paw) since then. And it's been a bitch.

Water Rider isn't alpha, or beta, but he is "third man". He's the one the Pack Leader comes to when recon is needed or when the pack needs to sneak into somewhere, or when assasination is called for.

But Jason knows that the Omega of the pack, a fellow Irraka of the Iron Masters, is gunning for him. Jason knows this and makes preparations for the eventual day of challenge.

Which comes very soon

Crow Boy challenges Water Rider for his position.

Jason Water Rider accepts, on the terms of any and all weapons allowed, no spirit granted "gifts", all within a circle 25 feet in diameter.

The Iron Master accepts, seeing the "weakness" of the Storm Lord.

The day of the challenge comes around, and the Iron Master and Storm Lord Irrakas circle each other warily, the defender still lacking his right hand. The Iron Master smiles as his hand pulls back, ready to throw something. The Storm Lord, o-so-quietly, says "Now".

His transmission goes out over the radiowaves, and the snipers hear his command.

Three gunshots explode in the night, and the Iron Master feels the fire of Luna ripping through him. Silver bullets hit their target from behind, mushroom inside him and devastate the body of the Iron Master. He falls to the ground, wounds gaping large holes from his chest. A victim of the Storm Lord's human assasins. 100 yards out.

The Storm Lord, later renamed "Silver Hand" by other Irrakas in honor of his prowess, walks over to the bleeding Iron Master.

Jason places his foot across the neck of the Iron Master.

"Oppose me again, and you'll have to kill me" Jason says, "That's how much you need to know to be victorious"

With that, Jason Water Rider walks away, once again exposing his strength, even as a handless Irraka.

And even the Rahu howl his victory.

Curator

As I said in the next paragraph, it all depends on context. I don't think your example is terribly different to what I said anyway; alright, they see him mourning, but he still pushes away an active display of mourning when they converse with him so he is able to remain the strong leader.

But yeah, a man can still weep and be strong. However my natural assumption is that a man weeping is not all he is at that moment - and thats my context.

Well the question is answered already I think by many people before me. I also agree that obstinately holding on to the literal meaning of the ban is childish. Krowe and Corvus_corax gave the clearest impression of what it is to be a stormlord. I really like the two stories you've given us corvus_corax. They are both inspirational and they gave a perfect example of how stormlords protect their ban.

Well the question is answered already I think by many people before me. I also agree that obstinately holding on to the literal meaning of the ban is childish. Krowe and Corvus_corax gave the clearest impression of what it is to be a stormlord. I really like the two stories you've given us corvus_corax. They are both inspirational and they gave a perfect example of how stormlords protect their ban.

+1