Pathgalen

What is cold iron?

Donor

One thing to remember is that Hunter intentionaly plays with the rules of the other settings. Vampires in Hunter don't work like Vampire the masquerade, and so on.

Donor

Zenten is right, but I think that they did so Hunter players didn't have to buy the rest of the gamelines' books...

Donor

Kuroukaze's explanation is in line with how I've always seen cold iron and how I've used it. It wouldn't be incredibly impossible to find it and make it, but the skills have been lost in the modern age.

Donor

My example for a hunter is, perhaps a bit off. In fact I would allow any use of wrought iron, or cast iron, to be used as cold iron. Maybe swordsman is right. Is the gift lost in the modern age?

But has banality evolved as well? Should we make the fae's biggest fear obsolete to something as ironic as a lack of anachronism of the part of humans in a game of anachronistic fae? I think not.

Now, dont get me wrong, cold iron swords must be forged. And its an odd order to be placed, even odder to fill. And such doings will attract the attention of those of who would seek to stop the act. So its not like there are thousands of swords sitting in rooms everyday waiting to destroy. But art works, surely yes. Housewares? Why not.

That fire poker next to the mantle is looking rather evil now, isnt it?

Donor

Oh and there are referances to the wrought iron indeed being treated as cold iron. In fact, one book goes so far as to say "the fae stay in the middle of the street during mardi gras" when referancing the french quaters wrought iron fences.

That book? The main one.

Donor

I thought I remembered something about that in the corebook... do you know what page it's on, by any chance?

Donor

I think that a certain amount of wrought or cast iron would make sense as "cold" iron. It just seems to fit with the feel and mood. And as was said, it makes ol' granny's country cottage with the cast iron skillet just that much scarier to fae. According to some legends, something as simple as an iron horseshoe above a doorway was enough to keep out the fae.

But remember that the presence of cold iron itself doesn't cause any harm, merely some mild discomfort. Unless you took the Iron Allergy flaw, you could touch cold iron all day and just get the willies from it. So while walking through the French Quarter might be a bit uncomfortable, it's not harmful.

I still prefer my method. Iron is only Cold Iron if it is Banal. So all the Wrought Iron railings and fences, the wrought Iron flower pots and light hangings and the Cast Iron street plates in London have no effect on the Fae, but a Horsehoe hung on a wall will do, and so will an Iron Cross or Cold Iron spear heads when carried by the Redcaps. For me, as Jackie or Nicky once said, its the intent that turns Iron to Cold Iron and not any mundane process. icon1.gif

Donor

Interesting point Your Grace.

And why the spear head would be cold iron when wielded by a redcap? What about any Dauntain or any person or Kithain with evil intentions?

And why the spear head would be cold iron when wielded by a redcap? What about any Dauntain or any person or Kithain  with evil intentions?

Just the first example that sprung into my mind is all. icon1.gif

Donor

Ah, ok icon13.gif

So a few years passed, and I got a few new insights to my initial question about cold iron. 4 years after the last time visiting this thread I started viking period of time reenacting, and therby got some new knowledge about classic ironworks. Therby I think I found what cold iron is (at least for me)
First a few requierments for the stuff:

• Has to be rare
  • Has to be more or less low tec

The basic wrought iron thing dosn´t cut the mustard for me, so I am going a step further.
Smelted Iron from a Bloomery

At a few occasions I worked the belows on such a furnance and listend to the smith. And therby get to know the basics of this kind of iron making. You produce Iron in this frunance ovens from iron ore ( basicly rust with mineral stuff around, take Bog Iron as an example) What makes this a good candidate for cold Iron is, that here the rust ist just reduced to iron but the iron itself always stays solid and never get liquid becous the temperture inside this process dosn´t get high enough to melt it down.
So here the pro points for my thesis:

1. Rare : Modern Iron making is a lot cheaper and easyier than the traditonal way. Acording to the friend of mine 1kg of smelted iron from a bloomery, ready for the normal smith takes 80 h of solid work.
  2. Cold : In the process in a bloomery the Ironoxid and iron never gets above its melting point

What are youre thoughts on this?

Donor

Based on how the description is in C20, I think that the restriction is that cold iron cannot be made in a blast furnace, and must use charcoal instead of coal. So it isn't quite as restrictive as you're saying Pathgalen, but also you're pretty much still only going to find cold iron made in the past 500 years is through recreationists, and even then you can go back almost two thousand years and find iron that isn't cold iron in China.

But dosn´t the restrictions from C20 also lead to my conclusion?
This way of iron smelting uses a bloomery instead of a blast furnace and uses coal.

Donor

I thought it was possible using some of those older techniques to still melt the iron.

I think a blast furnace could melt the iron, but the older bloomery furnace I suggest, dosn´t get that hot. In this processe the rust particels get reduced to pure Iron but it dosn´t get hot enough to melt it down.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.