Kind of a hold-over from last week’s talk about Justin Achilli, this week we start with one of the quotes from Tombstone that JA and I would lob at each other over the years – and check out this week’s Reason To Celebrate for why the movie comes to mind.
They’ve mentioned that Justin is the final member of the WoD team at Paradox, even if he may be pretty much still stuck here because of Covid-19, and if you want to, you can learn more about the person pulled into the WoD team before Justin by checking out this coming Friday’s Onyx Pathcast interview with Outstar, the WoD Brand Community Manager!
Another daisy has been Jon Hodgson and his extremely talented crew at Handmade Games, who we’ve worked with on many pieces of art and on the creation of the newest Creature Collection for Scarred Lands. They ran the Kickstarter, as well, and did a fantastic job with the project!
Now that the Creature Collection is at our traditional printer – where we had to send it because our more expansive plans for printing and shipping in Europe were torpedoed by Covid-19 (I feel like there’s an underlying theme here) – Jon and team have handed off the project to us in its entirety to fulfill it and get the book into stores.
With that, we’re also making the PDF and the PoD versions available this week on DriveThru. So if you prefer to get a gorgeous collection of monsters usable for any 5e gaming, this is your week.Contagion Chronicle art by Luis Sanz
I’m In My Prime!
Talking about ways we’re all getting through this pandemic, let’s start with quite the difference in our industry with GenCon going online and not live in Indianapolis. First time in something like 40+ years, at least, that there’s no physical con. But like ourselves, the GenCon crew have decided to run an online version filled with gaming and panels and interviews and all sorts of stuff.
Fresh from our more us-focused Onyx Path Virtual Gaming Convention last month, we are still representing at GenCon Online with a What’s Up With the Onyx Path? panel, as well as a bunch of our games. Check out details and links below in the Conventions section, and check out last week’s Onyx Pathcast, for the Terrific Trio’s talk about online gaming and more thoughts about our online con.Lunars art by Gong Stysi
Keeping up our efforts to keep in closer contact with our developers during this time of isolation, we had another pair of Developer Town Halls last week, which seemed to go very well.
One thing that came up, which we are very aware of, is how hard it is to stay aware of the passage of time these days. Obviously, that has huuuuge impact on the projects folks are working on, as so much of freelance creation depends on creating a certain amount of X (X being words, or pages, or pieces of art, or whatever you’re creating) a day and a week and a month.
Luckily for all, Eddy Webb has spent over a decade exploring time-management techniques and processes, and while he has always been helpful for our creators on an ad hoc basis, he’s now going to run a developer work processes workshop for our devs instead of a Town Hall next month.
Our hope is that we can use this workshop to present a lot of tools and methods to heighten everyone’s ability to focus longer, faster, better.
And I almost lost my focus right there. I was just about to write “…focus longer, faster, better on our: Many Worlds, One Path!”. But I still have one more thing to mention!
More details in the Kickstarter section below, but I do want to announce that we’re going to start the Kickstarter for They Came From Beyond the Grave!, the second of the They Came From…! games, next week on Tuesday the 21st!
Phew! Glad I managed to get that mention in, and I’m expecting to go into a bunch more next week about the Hammer/Roger Corman Films genre of horror movies and why we’re very excited to be able to emulate that genre with Grave!. For an idea of how it plays, here’s the game we played at our online convention:
One more world to add to our:
Many Worlds, One Path!
Next Up On Kickstarter: They Came From Beyond the Grave!
Next week on Tuesday the 21st at 2pm EDT, if we can pull it together! And keep your eyes open for:
Onyx Path Media!
This week: a fantastic interview with Outstar aka Martyna: Paradox‘s new World of Darkness Brand Community Developer, who’s renowned for her World of Darkness lore videos, and who also has a history in the video game industry, having worked on games like The Witcher 3!
As always, this Friday’s Onyx Pathcast will be on Podbean or your favorite podcast venue! https://onyxpathcast.podbean.com/
It’s an exciting time for the Twitch channel, as ahead of the Kickstarter, Vorpal Tales commence their They Came from Beyond the Grave! actual play!
This week on Twitch, expect to see:
- V5 – Chicago by Night
- They Came from Beyond the Grave!
- Changeling: The Dreaming – The Last Faerie Tale
- Mage: The Awakening – Occultists Anonymous
- Scarred Lands – Purge of the Serpentholds
- Chronicles of Darkness: Tooth & Claw
- Deviant: The Renegades – A Cautionary Tale
Get watching for some fantastic insight into how to run these wonderful games and subscribe to us on Twitch, over at twitch.tv/theonyxpath
Come take a look at our YouTube channel, youtube.com/user/theonyxpath, where you can find a whole load of videos of actual plays, dissections of our games, and more, including:
Onyx Path News Live: https://youtu.be/5UHRO66VKi4
#OnyxPathCon | Onyx Pathcast Live [Panel]:https://youtu.be/XxNvUPUtC1o
#OnyxPathCon | Learn the Storypath System [Panel]:https://youtu.be/YOr-WIe4nuA
#OnyxPathCon | They Came from Beyond the Grave! Actual Play: https://youtu.be/qLEFXntIa3g
Changeling: The Lost – Littlebrook Reunion: https://youtu.be/aEVm_G1Dhzo
Subscribe to our channel and click the bell icon if you want to be notified whenever new news videos and uploads come online!
Occultists Anonymous continue their excellent Mage: The Awakening chronicle:
Episode 112: Buffs & Bluffs
The cabal make preparations for two meetings, one with “Heidi” a leader of the Mammon Ministry, and “Tilly” who has been making threats on behalf of Mammon. Then, of course, come the meetings themselves…
Episode 113: The Mammon Treatise
Discussions continue with Tilly and the cabal, a Lictor is called forth to try to make the deal official in the Consilium’s Lex Magica.
Systematic Understanding of Everything is a new Exalted Explainer Podcast by Exalted Dev Monica Speca and Exalted Writer Chazz Kellner that is breaking down Creation in 45 minute chunks in preparation for Exalted Essence.
Their most recent episode in on Creation and its history – https://anchor.fm/exaltcast/episodes/Trackless-Region-Navigation—What-is-Creation-eg2g9d
Get past episodes at http://www.exaltcast.com/
The Gamers Table is on board for a Promethean: The Created chronicle right here: https://anchor.fm/gamerstable/episodes/Polyabhorrent-Episode-4—Promethean-the-Created-Actual-Play-egeuvo/a-a2l9s6e Please give them your support!
Our very own Chris Allen runs a fantastic opening session of Werewolf: The Forsaken here and on Twitch: https://youtu.be/XTaTf7sxnLk Not too many eyeballs were lost!
They’re not alone with their Werewolf: The Forsaken actual play, as Dork Tales on Twitch is playing a chronicle of the same game! https://www.twitch.tv/dorktales
Our friends over at Near Dark Studios have just concluded their second season of V5 Chicago by Night, and you can find the entire playlist right here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhENuwZpsO7HXSuQ26MvX5uP-xqbYAwGG
Apparently it’s a week for Werewolf: The Forsaken, as Paleo Games is running their chronicle of doomed Uratha over here on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/paleo_gaming
Last one! Our good buddies at Vorpal Tales recently concluded their superb actual play of They Came from Beneath the Sea!, which you can find here on YouTube in full playlist form. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9fUj4KdqE4Ayzfw1vrDtFY81E0uaNT2K
Please check these out and let us know if you find or produce any actual plays of our games! We’d love to feature you!
As we find ways to enable our community to more easily play our games, the Onyx Dice Rolling App is live! Our dev team has been doing updates since we launched based on the excellent use-case comments by our community, and this thing is awesome! (Seriously, you need to roll 100 dice for Exalted? This app has you covered.)
We’re told that the App Dev is currently creating an updated version for the latest devices, so keep an eye open for those!
On Amazon and Barnes & Noble!
If you enjoy these or any other of our books, please help us by writing reviews on the site of the sales venue from which you bought it. Reviews really, really help us get folks interested in our amazing fiction!
Our selection includes these latest fiction books:
Our Sales Partners!
We’re working with Studio2 to get Pugmire and Monarchies of Mau out into stores, as well as to individuals through their online store. You can pick up the traditionally printed main book, the screen, and the official Pugmire dice through our friends there! https://studio2publishing.com/search?q=pugmire
We’ve added Prince’s Gambit to our Studio2 catalog: https://studio2publishing.com/products/prince-s-gambit-card-game
Now, we’ve added Changeling: The Lost Second Edition products to Studio2‘s store! See them here: https://studio2publishing.com/collections/all-products/changeling-the-lost
Scion 2e books and other products are available now at Studio2: https://studio2publishing.com/blogs/new-releases/scion-second-edition-book-one-origin-now-available-at-your-local-retailer-or-online
Looking for our Deluxe or Prestige Edition books? Try this link! http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Onyx-Path-Publishing/
And you can order Pugmire, Monarchies of Mau, Cavaliers of Mars, and Changeling: The Lost 2e at the same link! And now Scion Origin and Scion Hero and Trinity Continuum Core and Trinity Continuum: Aeon are available to order!
As always, you can find Onyx Path’s titles at DriveThruRPG.com!
On Sale This Week!
This Wednesday, we uncage the Creature Collection for 5e Scarred Lands in PDF and PoD versions, both on DTRPG!
Though dates for physical conventions are subject to change due to the current COVID-19 outbreak, here’s what’s left of our current list of upcoming conventions (and really, we’re just waiting for this last one to be cancelled even though it’s Nov/Dec). Instead, keep an eye out here for more virtual conventions we’re going to be involved with:
PAX Unplugged: https://unplugged.paxsite.com/
Keep an eye out for our games being run at the online version of GenCon at the end of the month, as well as our What’s Up With the Onyx Path? panel currently slated for 1pm, Thursday July 30th!
And now, the new project status updates!
Development Status from Eddy Webb! (Projects in bold have changed status since last week.):
First Draft (The first phase of a project that is about the work being done by writers, not dev prep.)
- Exalted Essay Collection (Exalted)
- Adversaries of the Righteous (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- The Devoted Companion (Deviant: The Renegades)
- Saints and Monsters (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum: Anima
- M20 Technocracy Operative’s Dossier (Mage: The Ascension 20th Anniversary)
- Squeaks In The Deep (Realms of Pugmire)
- Prometheus Unbound (was Psi Orders) (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
- Dragon-Blooded Novella #2 (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Hundred Devil’s Night Parade (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Novas Worldwide (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- Exalted Essence Edition (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Wild Hunt (Scion 2nd Edition)
- CtL 2e Novella Collection: Hollow Courts (Changeling: The Lost 2e)
- Many-Faced Strangers – Lunars Companion (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Contagion Chronicle Ready-Made Characters (Chronicles of Darkness)
- Trinity Continuum: Adventure! core (Trinity Continuum: Adventure!)
- Dead Man’s Rust (Scarred Lands)
- The Clades Companion (Deviant: The Renegades)
- V5 Forbidden Religions (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
- M20 Rich Bastard’s Guide To Magick (Mage: The Ascension 20th Anniversary)
- V5 Children of the Blood (was The Faithful Undead) (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
- Dystopia Rising: Evolution Fiction Anthology (Dystopia Rising: Evolution)
- TC: Aberrant Reference Screen (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- Across the Eight Directions (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Contagion Chronicle: Global Outbreaks (Chronicles of Darkness)
- Exigents (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Assassins (Trinity Continuum Core)
- V5 Trails of Ash and Bone (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
- Kith and Kin (Changeling: The Lost 2e)
- Mission Statements (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
- Crucible of Legends (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- M20 Victorian Mage (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Under Alien Skies (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
- Lunars Novella (Rosenberg) (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Mummy: The Curse 2nd Edition core rulebook (Mummy: The Curse 2nd Edition)
- Player’s Guide to the Contagion Chronicle (Chronicles of Darkness)
- Contagion Chronicle Jumpstart (Chronicles of Darkness)
- TC: Aberrant Jumpstart (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- Trinity Continuum Jumpstart (Trinity Continuum)
- LARP Rules (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Heirs to the Shogunate (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- The Book of Lasting Death (Mummy: The Curse 2e)
- They Came From Beyond the Grave! (They Came From!)
- Scion: Dragon (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Scion: Demigod (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Dearly Bleak – Novella (Deviant: The Renegades)
- N!ternational Wrestling Entertainment (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- City of the Towered Tombs (Cavaliers of Mars)
- W20 Shattered Dreams Gift Cards (Werewolf: The Apocalypse 20th)
- Cults of the Blood Gods (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
- Hunter: The Vigil 2e core (Hunter: The Vigil 2nd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum: Aberrant core (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- Deviant: The Renegades (Deviant: The Renegades)
- Monsters of the Deep (They Came From Beneath the Sea!)
- Legendlore core book (Legendlore)
- Pirates of Pugmire KS-Added Adventure (Realms of Pugmire)
- Tales of Aquatic Terror (They Came From Beneath the Sea!)
- Terra Firma (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
- One Foot in the Grave Jumpstart (Geist: The Sin-Eaters 2e)
- Masks of the Mythos (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Lunars: Fangs At The Gate (Exalted 3rd Edition)
Art Direction from Mike Chaney!
In Art Direction
- Tales of Aquatic Terror – Off to LeBlanc.
- WoD Ghost Hunters (KS) – KS prep also wrapped up.
- Aberrant – AD’d. Meredith is helping with keeping track of all the artists.
- Hunter: The Vigil 2e
- Mummy 2
- Technocracy Reloaded (KS)
- Cults of the Blood God – Rolling along.
- Scion: Dragon (KS)
- Masks of the Mythos (KS) – Getting the cover art going, interior pieces are coming in.
- Scion: Demigod (KS) – KS art in progress.
- They Came From Beyond the Grave! (KS) – Prepping KS assets.
- TC: Adventure! (KS) – Shen Fei cover art finished by end of the month.
- Geist: One Foot In the Grave – AD’d, art is rolling.
- Yugman’s Guide to Ghelspad
- Vigil Watch
- TC Aeon Terra Firma
- V5 Let the Streets Run Red – continued working it.
- Pugmire Adventure – small project, knocking the layout together.
- Scion Titanomachy
- Lunars Screen and Booklet
- Contagion Chronicle Screen and Booklet
- Trinity Aeon Jumpstart – Errata input prep.
- Lunars: Fangs at the Gate – Editing.
- Contagion Chronicle – Errata input and press prep.
- Cavaliers of Mars: City of the Towered Tombs
- Magic Item Decks (Scarred Lands)
- Yugman’s Guide Support Decks (Scarred Lands)
- Dark Eras 2 Screen and booklet
- Scion Companion – PoD proofs ordered.
- TCFBTS Heroic Land Dwellers – PoD proof ordered.
- TCFBTS Screen and Booklet – Files at press.
- They Came from Beneath the Sea! – Press proofs signed off on, PoD proofs ordered.
- Creature Collection 5e – PDF and PoD versions on sale on Wednesday.
- Pirates of Pugmire – Files at press. PoD proofs ordered.
- Pirates of Pugmire Screen – Files at press.
- Pugmire Buried Bones – PoD proof ordered.
- Changeling: The Lost 2nd Edition Dark Eras Compilation – Uploaded PoD file.
Today’s Reason to Celebrate!
Considered to be the day in 1882 that Johnny Ringo died, gunslinger, and model for many versions of this kind of gaming character: “A man like Ringo has got a great big hole, right in the middle of him. He can never kill enough, or steal enough, or inflict enough pain to ever fill it.” Of course, he was never a daisy.