Our Legendlore KS only has days left to run, and actually ends on Thursday this week, so as my final push for folks to check it out, I’m not going to try and convince you like last week. I’m going to let two excellent writers do that!
Here’s a great description of Legendlore, written, as only he can, by our own Matthew Dawkins:
But why should you back it? Well, in this time where some gamers are clinging on to the notion that “all orcs are evil from birth”, “disability has no place in fantasy adventures” and “there’s no such thing as a good drow” (they haven’t heard of Drizzt), Legendlore says the opposite.
Legendlore is a fantasy setting where diversity is a strength, we don’t shy away from complex societies and cultures, and where you can damn well buy yourself a wheelchair especially designed for dungeon crawling, or sit on a bloody floating disc! This is a game that embraces the fact that it’s magical, it’s wondrous, and yes, there’s evil out there in need of vanquishing, but there’s also a brilliant world to discover and enlightenment and wisdom to be found.
I’m in love with the art, the writing, and skilful design of this game, which uses the 5th Edition system to amazing effect. I’m impressed by the effort and energy Steffie De Vaan and her entire team of writers have poured into it. It’s a game I want to play, and if you feel orcs are better only as black and white villains, I invite you to read the manuscript – which is available as a free download from DriveThruRPG.com – and feel as impressed as I do.
And here’s developer Steffie De Vann’s excellent take on why she loves the game:
Legendlore offers a rich and layered world. No one is born good or evil, nor does it have ‘evil races.’ People come in all colors, genders, orientations, and alignments. You can be a black trans feminine elf & be right at home in the Realm. Our iconics put our ‘money where our mouth is’ – our elf is a trans black woman, our pixie a non-binary person, our dwarf is a combat veteran in a wheelchair, and I could go on. This is a game that believes diversity is strength. It’s an isekai/portal game, and we created Backgrounds ranging from ‘Activist’ and ‘RPG Aficionado’ to ‘Working Poor.’
The world of Legendlore is home to a sentient 1974’s Ford Mustang, parasite mushrooms that try to kill you by YELLING VERY LOUDLY (trust me, it’s effective), sacred Chipmunks, and the descendants of Amelia Earhart running an aviation nation. It pairs this whimsy with a genuinely complex world. For example, the orcs used to live in what’s now the nation of Drohm. Orcs ambassadors are petitioning the other nations to recognize their sovereignty, but doing so would give Drohm the excuse it needs to go to war – and make no mistake, Darkoth the Darklord *wants* to go to war. Are the orcs right? YES. Should the other nations help them out? HECK YES. Is it understandable that the nations are dragging their feet because war is good for no one except the Generals? Also yes. If that sounds like a conundrum you want to tackle, and sway the fate of Azoth, this is a game for you.
If that sound good to you, go check us out on KS. And if you’re still on the fence – there’s a link in there to a free preview manuscript.
In fact, Steffie has been posting examples of the Legendlore characters she mentions above:
This is Aaliyah, our elven iconic. She’s a Black trans woman who uses a mix of ASL and forestspeak signs to communicate. She’s a peaceful ambassador foremost, but doesn’t back down from a fight when it comes to that.
This is Najda, our dwarven iconic. She is a Muslim army vet who was wounded during her tour in Afghanistan. She now works in a Los Angeles comic book store, where she discovered a crossing into the world of Legendlore.
Here’s Jada, our pixie iconic. Pixies are born agender, and choose a gender as they grow up. Feminine pixies have 2 antenna, masculine pixies have 0, and non-binary pixies have 1. Pixies are as fierce as they are small, they love laughing and hate bullies.
There you go, and here’s the link to the Legendlore Kickstarter:
Besides Legendlore, What Else?
Just a warning, and it may just be a short-term issue, but right now it seems that we can’t ship anything to Canada or Mexico. We haven’t yet heard whether we can receive packages from those countries, but since our most prolific printers are based in Canada, we may experience some delays in our traditionally printed projects.
Right now, we’re only having issues with getting the physical printer proofs sent back and forth for approvals, and not the actual books themselves.
You’d think after all the panels and Actual Playing I did during the Onyx Path Virtual Gaming Con a few weeks ago that I’d be all talked out. Well, that does not seem to be the case. Ever.
Naw, I love telling folks about what Onyx Path is and the game worlds we make! I just can’t help myself, we have so many exciting and fun things going on!
Last week, Mike and the gang over at the This Week In Geek podcast interviewed me about WW and Onyx Path, and it turned into a sort of oral history of how the companies transformed into each successive version, and just where game lines branched off to different companies and editions.
If that sort of stuff is interesting for you, here ya go: http://thisweekingeek.net/news/interviews/fan-service-interview-rich-thomas-onyx-path-june-2020
Then this weekend, I sat in on a retrospective of the Art of Mage at Ascension Con 2020 along with Satyros Phil Brucato and artists Mark Jackson and Echo Chernik. Echo took on the slideshow duties and we all discussed the Mage art that came up as it appeared.
That was pretty great, and it was certainly a treat to chat with folks I haven’t talked to in years. Hopefully, that recording will show up on YouTube soon and we’ll get you all a link.Cults of the Blood Gods art by Thomas Denmark
What wasn’t great last week were a couple of issues that we needed to deal with. While we dealt with them as best as we could, we realized that at core our little crew of folks here are simply not HR experts. And more importantly, we shouldn’t try to be.
We need to concentrate on making great games and amazing worlds, like we do.
Which means that tomorrow, I’m interviewing our current best prospect for an HR point-of-contact for the company. Someone who is HR trained and has worked in HR at other companies. And very important for us, someone who is unconnected to Onyx Path and has never been a gamer or in the TTRPG business.
We need someone who doesn’t have the connections or baggage that might make it hard to be objective when they review HR concerns. Hopefully, my interview is the one, and once everything is good to go we’ll include info concerning them prominently on our website so folks know who to contact.
I mean, it’s important that our worlds are all about excitement, and fear, and victory, and defeat. What our creators and community go through in the real world shouldn’t also require all those moments. We want everyone playing our games and reading our books to be safe while they explore our:
Many Worlds, One Path!
The Legendlore Kickstarter is in its last few days and ends this Thursday, and now we’re really building towards Stretch Goals: the GM’s Screen, and starting the Legendlore Companion book PDF!
Grab your friends and escape to another world!
You’ve found an enchanted portal — a transition point — between worlds. The portal, called a Crossing, takes you to a world you thought only existed in novels and films: a magical land where dragons roam the skies, orcs and hobgoblins terrorize weary travelers, and unicorns prance through the forest. It is a world where humans join other peoples such as elves, trolls, dwarves, changelings, and the dreaded creatures who steal the night. It is a world of fantasy — of imagination.
It is the Realm.
It is Legendlore.
Next Up On Kickstarter: They Came From Beyond the Grave!
Onyx Path Media!
This week: the return of the return of the Scion Actual Play as Eddy and Dixie’s characters dig further into the machinations of the gods!
As always, this Friday’s Onyx Pathcast will be on Podbean or your favorite podcast venue! https://onyxpathcast.podbean.com/
All our panels and games from Onyx Path Virtual Gaming Convention are still available on twitch.tv/theonyxpath! All you need to do is head on over to the website and subscribe. If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can do so for free and access our entire catalogue of videos!
Legendlore‘s Kickstarter is coming to an end, but Jen Vaughn’s actual play is still going on our Twitch channel every week on Friday night! Lost in the Crossing is an amazing story played through by a fantastic GM and excellent roleplayers, and handles the Legendlore world from the perspective of visitors and native inhabitants of the Realm! Make sure you’re tuning in every Friday or catching up afterwards by subscribing.
That’s not all for Legendlore, as we have actual plays by Steffie de Vaan and Corinne McCrory over on our YouTube channel, which you can find here https://youtu.be/UaQXSlEatDw and here https://youtu.be/RRvnJOrmNzM! Please give our GMs some support and tune in!
This week on Twitch, expect to see:
- V5 – Chicago by Night
- Realms of Pugmire – Paws & Claws
- Legendlore – The Metal Scourge
- Dystopia Rising: Evolution – Thieves of Old York
- They Came from Beneath the Sea! – They Came from Devil’s Reef!
- Changeling: The Dreaming – The Last Faerie Tale
- Mage: The Awakening – Occultists Anonymous
- Legendlore – Lost in the Crossing
- Scarred Lands – Purge of the Serpentholds
- Chronicles of Darkness – Tooth and Claw
- Deviant: The Renegades – A Cautionary Tale
Get watching for some fantastic insight into how to run these wonderful games.
Come take a look at our YouTube channel, youtube.com/user/theonyxpath, where you can find a whole load of videos of actual plays, dissections of our games, and more, including:
Legendlore – The Metal Scourge: https://youtu.be/ECRrErPLm64
Storytellers with Coffee – Safety Tools: https://youtu.be/FjG-YbG_Q1k
Mage: The Ascension – Technocracy Reloaded: https://youtu.be/9Al7ZdkLGiM
Even more Legendlore – The Metal Scourge: https://youtu.be/RRvnJOrmNzM
#OnyxPathCon | How to Write for TTRPGs [Panel]: https://youtu.be/UKmJQEhInP8
Subscribe to our channel and click the bell icon if you want to be notified whenever new news videos and uploads come online!
Occultists Anonymous continues right here with their excellent Mage: The Awakening chronicle:
Episode 108: Car-V Heist
While Songbird prepares for a dangerous summoning, Atratus and Wyrd hit the junkyards with an overly elaborate plan to make an overly elaborate gift. How very Mage of them…
Episode 109: Crown of Blood
Wyrd and Atratus enjoy the joy of a well-made gift and the good vibes that comes with that. Songbird joins together with Hadramiel to summon an Angel of Death to anoint a Vampire Prince in power.
A Bunch of Gamers continue their actual play of They Came from Beneath the Sea! and conclude it with a mini review: https://youtu.be/qIMwcOZmR8k
The Botch Pit have released a wonderful new guide for Changeling: The Lost right here. Do give them a like and a subscribe: https://youtu.be/Bd0UZQZt2OM
Please check these out and let us know if you find or produce any actual plays of our games! We’d love to feature you!
As we find ways to enable our community to more easily play our games, the Onyx Dice Rolling App is live! Our dev team has been doing updates since we launched based on the excellent use-case comments by our community, and this thing is awesome! (Seriously, you need to roll 100 dice for Exalted? This app has you covered.)
On Amazon and Barnes & Noble!
If you enjoy these or any other of our books, please help us by writing reviews on the site of the sales venue from which you bought it. Reviews really, really help us get folks interested in our amazing fiction!
Our selection includes these latest fiction books:
Our Sales Partners!
We’re working with Studio2 to get Pugmire and Monarchies of Mau out into stores, as well as to individuals through their online store. You can pick up the traditionally printed main book, the screen, and the official Pugmire dice through our friends there! https://studio2publishing.com/search?q=pugmire
We’ve added Prince’s Gambit to our Studio2 catalog: https://studio2publishing.com/products/prince-s-gambit-card-game
Now, we’ve added Changeling: The Lost Second Edition products to Studio2‘s store! See them here: https://studio2publishing.com/collections/all-products/changeling-the-lost
Scion 2e books and other products are available now at Studio2: https://studio2publishing.com/blogs/new-releases/scion-second-edition-book-one-origin-now-available-at-your-local-retailer-or-online
Looking for our Deluxe or Prestige Edition books? Try this link! http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Onyx-Path-Publishing/
And you can order Pugmire, Monarchies of Mau, Cavaliers of Mars, and Changeling: The Lost 2e at the same link! And now Scion Origin and Scion Hero and Trinity Continuum Core and Trinity Continuum: Aeon are available to order!
As always, you can find Onyx Path’s titles at DriveThruRPG.com!
On Sale This Week!
Available this Wednesday, we present Dystopia Rising: Evolution shirts and posters on our RedBubble store!
Though dates for physical conventions are subject to change due to the current COVID-19 outbreak, here’s what’s left of our current list of upcoming conventions (and really, we’re just waiting for this last one to be cancelled even though it’s Nov/Dec). Instead, keep an eye out here for more virtual conventions we’re going to be involved with:
PAX Unplugged: https://unplugged.paxsite.com/
And now, the new project status updates!
Development Status from Eddy Webb! (Projects in bold have changed status since last week.):
First Draft (The first phase of a project that is about the work being done by writers, not dev prep.)
- Exalted Essay Collection (Exalted)
- Adversaries of the Righteous (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- The Devoted Companion (Deviant: The Renegades)
- Saints and Monsters (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum: Anima
- M20 Technocracy Operative’s Dossier (Mage: The Ascension 20th Anniversary)
- Squeaks In The Deep (Realms of Pugmire)
- Dragon-Blooded Novella #2 (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Hundred Devil’s Night Parade (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Novas Worldwide (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- Exalted Essence Edition (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Wild Hunt (Scion 2nd Edition)
- CtL 2e Novella Collection: Hollow Courts (Changeling: The Lost 2e)
- Many-Faced Strangers – Lunars Companion (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Mission Statements (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
- Contagion Chronicle Ready-Made Characters (Chronicles of Darkness)
- Trinity Continuum: Adventure! core (Trinity Continuum: Adventure!)
- Dead Man’s Rust (Scarred Lands)
- The Clades Companion (Deviant: The Renegades)
- V5 Forbidden Religions (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
- M20 Rich Bastard’s Guide To Magick (Mage: The Ascension 20th Anniversary)
- V5 Children of the Blood (was The Faithful Undead) (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
- TC: Aberrant Reference Screen (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- Across the Eight Directions (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Contagion Chronicle: Global Outbreaks (Chronicles of Darkness)
- Exigents (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Assassins (Trinity Continuum Core)
- V5 Trails of Ash and Bone (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
- Kith and Kin (Changeling: The Lost 2e)
- Crucible of Legends (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- M20 Victorian Mage (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Under Alien Skies (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
- N!ternational Wrestling Entertainment (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- Lunars Novella (Rosenberg) (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Mummy: The Curse 2nd Edition core rulebook (Mummy: The Curse 2nd Edition)
- Player’s Guide to the Contagion Chronicle (Chronicles of Darkness)
- Contagion Chronicle Jumpstart (Chronicles of Darkness)
- TC: Aberrant Jumpstart (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- Trinity Continuum Jumpstart (Trinity Continuum)
- Masks of the Mythos (Scion 2nd Edition)
- LARP Rules (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Heirs to the Shogunate (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- The Book of Lasting Death (Mummy: The Curse 2e)
- They Came From Beyond the Grave! (They Came From!)
- Scion: Dragon (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Scion: Demigod (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Dearly Bleak – Novella (Deviant: The Renegades)
- City of the Towered Tombs (Cavaliers of Mars)
- W20 Shattered Dreams Gift Cards (Werewolf: The Apocalypse 20th)
- Cults of the Blood Gods (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
- Hunter: The Vigil 2e core (Hunter: The Vigil 2nd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum: Aberrant core (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- Deviant: The Renegades (Deviant: The Renegades)
- Monsters of the Deep (They Came From Beneath the Sea!)
- Legendlore core book (Legendlore)
- Pirates of Pugmire KS-Added Adventure (Realms of Pugmire)
- Tales of Aquatic Terror (They Came From Beneath the Sea!)
- Terra Firma (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
- One Foot in the Grave Jumpstart (Geist: The Sin-Eaters 2e)
Art Direction from Mike Chaney!
In Art Direction
- Tales of Aquatic Terror – Handing off to Meredith to AD.
- WoD Ghost Hunters (KS) – Prepping KS assets.
- Aberrant – AD’d. Sketches from HIVE in.
- Hunter: The Vigil 2e
- Mummy 2
- Legendlore – KS running.
- Technocracy Reloaded (KS)
- Cults of the Blood God – Rolling along.
- Scion: Dragon (KS) – Waiting on art notes.
- Masks of the Mythos (KS) – Pinging potential cover and fulls artist.
- Scion: Demigod (KS) – Art rolling. KS assets AD’d.
- They Came From Beyond the Grave! (KS) – Prepping KS assets.
- TC: Adventure! (KS) – Shen Fei cover art finishing.
- Geist: One Foot In the Grave – AD’d.
- Yugman’s Guide to Ghelspad
- Vigil Watch
- TC Aeon Terra Firma
- V5 Let the Streets Run Red – working layout now.
- Pugmire Adventure
- Scion Titanomachy
- Trinity Aeon Jumpstart – Errata gathering.
- Lunars: Fangs at the Gate – Page XXs.
- Contagion Chronicle – Backer PDF out to backers, gathering errata.
- Cavaliers of Mars: City of the Towered Tombs
- Magic Item Decks (Scarred Lands)
- Yugman’s Guide Support Decks (Scarred Lands)
- Dark Eras 2 Screen and booklet
- Scion Companion – Awaiting errata from devs.
- TCFBTS Heroic Land Dwellers – PoD files uploaded.
- TCFBTS Screen and Booklet – Files at press.
- They Came from Beneath the Sea! – Press proofs signed off on, PoD files uploaded.
- Creature Collection 5e – PoD proof ordered. Traditional files sent to printer.
- Pirates of Pugmire – Files at press. PoD proofs ordered.
- Pirates of Pugmire Screen – Files at press.
- Pugmire Buried Bones – PoD files uploaded.
- Changeling: The Lost 2nd Edition Dark Eras Compilation – Creating PoD file.
Today’s Reason to Celebrate!
This coming week is a big one for our household with the birthdays of two of our widdle kiddies (really not widdle at all any more), and the July 4th celebration of the American colonies’ independence from Great Britain! “And just as Tom here has written, we say To Hell With Great Britain!” Sorry, Matthew…
In sadder news, we acknowledge the passing of Jim Holloway, noted artist for Paranoia and Star Frontiers and many early issues of Dragon Magazine. Personally, I very much enjoyed his style, and he brought a technical expertise and a sense of humor to the early TTRPG business that it sorely needed.