Bit of a “meta” start for this edition of the MMN, as I just want to let folks in on how our Monday Meeting is running and the sort of topics generally covered, and the specific ones we talked about this week. Except for the [REDACTED] ones.
Bit o’ history, for folks coming new to this blog.
The Monday Lunch Meeting was once a meeting the entire staff of White Wolf was able to have for something like the first six months I was at WW mid- 1992. As the company grew, we went from everybody attending, to some departments spinning off to other days as the sheer number of people made it impossible, but Production & Design, my department, kept to Mondays.
I liked, and still like, starting the week with what is essentially a huddle. A re-focus moment before the week pulls us in all sorts of directions. In the early days, we’d actually divvy up tasks at the meeting to be sure everything we needed to accomplish in the coming week was covered. Even when all that was left of WW in terms of publishing TTRPGs was Eddy Webb and myself, we actually ate lunch during the meeting still, until I founded Onyx Path and brought the company-wide Monday Meeting back.
So, through all the years we come to our current Monday Lunch Meeting, although there have been evolutionary changes to our process:
1- We are a virtual office, with folks scattered around who attend, so we’re “starting off on Monday” even if Matthew’s day is actually getting close to sundown.
2- For a similar reason, nobody is required to eat lunch during the meeting, and with us all on Skype it’s really best if folks don’t do much munching and crunching.
3- Therefore, nobody waits until folks are midway through a Subba Wubba sandwich to tell us how the Andes plane crash survivors turned cannibals. In detail. Until some folks turned green.
4- Onyx Path has now grown to such a point that we have nine people in on the call, so in the interest of staying focused, we’ve recently adopted a process where the first hour of the meeting is the Production half, where we run down every project being worked on. You see most of that list in the Updates here every week. Then we move to Operations, and we review sales info, marketing, social media and PR, and new business.
5- Everyone is encouraged to both venture opinions and to bring up anything they feel is pertinent, and to absolutely speak up if they need clarification. The main purpose of the meeting is to provide everyone with knowledge of where Onyx Path is on that Monday, and what we need to do for the rest of the week, or even further out.
6- Usually, I’ll derive the points I want to write about in this blog every week from the general drift of our interests and concerns at the Monday Meeting, although, as our crew knows, sometimes I’ll zoom in on something related but not directly discussed if I think it makes a good subject.
This week, here’s some highlights of what we discussed:
- I threw a whole bunch of project pitches at White Wolf for approvals, and we’re waiting for the OK or notes from them.
- We also sent over another bunch of project outlines for approvals as well, and we’re also waiting for those to get back to us. Both of these steps are the ones before the steps you see below in the Updates, and are basically the developers preparing the info they need in order to hire writers.
- Speaking of outlines, we have a bunch almost done for the upcoming Scion projects that came out of the Kickstarter Stretch Goals. Neall really couldn’t finalize them until the text for both Origin and Hero was complete.
- Dixie has been touching base with “her” developers for the CofD and Exalted 3rd, and working with them on their schedule of releases, and she’ll be doing her first errata input pass on the next book ready for that stage, either Night Horrors: Enemy Action or the Beast PG.
- We sat down last week and conceptualized the release schedule for the Trinity Continuum lines, now that we have a much more concrete idea of our Trinity community interest and numbers after the Kickstarter. Thinking through how the Continuum can be represented by Community Content is an added, and welcome, piece to that process. Now we’re arguing about which actual titles the TC Core and TC: Aeon should have!
- Some writers are late, some artists needed replacing, some editing is getting swapped around, and some projects are holding up other ones. So, situation normal, and we adjust to this every Monday!
- We expect Wraith20 errata to close sometime between this Weds. and next Weds. and we’ll see if Night Horrors: Enemy Action and the Beast PG also fit that time frame.
- Mirthful Mike is starting on the graphics for the Dragon Blooded Kickstarter for later this month, and we’re looking for James’ to present his plan for the KS based on earlier conversations. I’ll be asking James to establish address change and shipping deadlines right in our KS description and FAQs, because we continue to have backers message us two years after shipping wanting their books – and we just aren’t set up to have these books sitting around indefinitely. We really hate disappointing people.
- The Mirthful One is also designing the logo for the Scarred Lands Community Content site, the Slaracian Vault. Once that is finished we’ll be stress testing the site. Eddy is also looking at opening up a few aspects of Canis Minor, the Pugmire Community Content site, so keep an eye out there.
- For the Scarred Lands Kickstarter, as backers are aware, we’ve just had the damnedest time pulling together all the threads that my old friend Stewart Wieck left dangling after his untimely death, but with a few adjustments we and Nocturnal Media have almost everything needed in the fulfillment shipper’s warehouse. While they are arranging the shipping, I’m going to send out the Scarred Lands posters from the Kickstarter individually to those who pledged for them.
- Mighty Matt McElroy wants everybody to know that we have shipped a whole truck-load of extra Kickstarter projects to our friends at Indie Press Revolution (IPR), including the Prestige Edition and Screen of Dark Eras (the first one), the Deluxe and Ultra-Deluxe Editions of Exalted 3rd Edition and a whole lot of the additional items, and the Deluxe Edition and Screen for W20 Shattered Dreams. (See more info and links below in the IPR section of the Blurbs!)
- Matt also pointed out that the Beast Players’ Guide and Night Horrors: Enemy Action PDFs have been #1 and #2 on DTRPG‘s bestsellers list these past couple of days! Congrats to all involved!
- Although we have, as a company, pulled away from monitoring social media beyond our own – as per one of our wellness resolutions from our MidWinter Summit – we do go over any posts that concern us. So we did today. As usual, this isn’t an area that I like us to wade into publicly, but I include it to show that we don’t just ignore internet comments.
- We learned in our meeting that our in-house developers (Eddy, Dixie, and Matthew) really like to talk. So we discussed how we could maybe give them a place where they can talk as much as they want…
So you can see, that these notes are indeed pulled from the Monday Meeting each week, and while you could say our motto should be “Many Words, One Path”, it is in fact:
Many Worlds, One Path!
Our next Kickstarter is slated to be EX3‘s Dragon-Blooded near the end of March.
As we try and find ways to enable our community to more easily play our games, the Onyx Dice Rolling App is now live! Our dev team has been doing updates since we launched based on the excellent use-case comments by our community, and this thing is both rolling and rocking!
The devs have added a whole bunch of new game lines’ dice and rolling bg’s and got caught by a bug Apple needed to fix, so be sure to update your app and soon that should be fixed.
There’s been tweaks to all elements of the UI, you can now preview every die type in the store, and you can use multiple die types per roll! Here are the links for the Apple and Android versions:
Three different screenshots, above.
(The Solar Anima special Dice above)
ON AMAZON AND BARNES & NOBLE:
We’re delighted to announce the opening of our ebook stores on Amazon and Barnes & Noble! You can now read our fiction from the comfort and convenience of your Kindle (from Amazon) and Nook (from Barnes & Noble). Our initial selection includes these fiction anthologies:
- Vampire: The Masquerade: The Endless Ages Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse: Rites of Renown: When Will You Rage II (Kindle, Nook)
- Mage: The Ascension: Truth Beyond Paradox (Kindle, Nook)
- Chronicles of Darkness: The God-Machine Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Mummy: The Curse: Curse of the Blue Nile (Kindle, Nook)
- Beast: The Primordial: The Primordial Feast Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
And here are six more fiction books:
- Vampire: The Masquerade: Of Predators and Prey: The Hunters Hunted II Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse: The Poison Tree (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse: Songs of the Sun and Moon: Tales of the Changing Breeds (Kindle, Nook)
- Vampire: The Requiem: The Strix Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Forsaken: The Idigam Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Mage: The Awakening: The Fallen World Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
Andand six more more:
- Vampire: The Masquerade: The Beast Within Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse: W20 Cookbook (Kindle, Nook)
- Exalted: Tales from the Age of Sorrows (Kindle, Nook)
- Chronicles of Darkness: Tales of the Dark Eras (Kindle, Nook)
- Promethean: The Created: The Firestorm Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Demon: The Descent: Demon: Interface (Kindle, Nook)
And even more books are now on Amazon and the Nook store!:
- Scarred Lands: Death in the Walled Warren (Kindle, Nook)
- V20 Dark Ages: Cainite Conspiracies (Kindle, Nook)
- Chronicles of Darkness: Strangeness in the Proportion (Kindle, Nook)
- Vampire: The Requiem: Silent Knife (Kindle, Nook)
- Mummy: The Curse: Dawn of Heresies (Kindle, Nook)
OUR SALES PARTNERS:
We’re working with Studio2 to get Pugmire out into stores, as well as to individuals through their online store. You can pick up the traditionally printed main book, the Screen, and the official Pugmire dice through our friends there!
Looking for our Deluxe or Prestige Edition books? Try this link! http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Onyx-Path-Publishing/
Here’s the link to the press release we put out about how Onyx Path is now selling through Indie Press Revolution: http://theonyxpath.com/press-release-onyx-path-limited-editions-now-available-through-indie-press-revolution/
You can now order wave 2 of our Deluxe and Prestige print overrun books, including Deluxe Mage 20th Anniversary, and Deluxe V20 Dark Ages! And Screens…so many Screens!
And you can now order Pugmire: the book, the screen, and the dice! http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=296
Wave 3 of our extra Kickstarter projects is now on sale at IPR!
Here are the direct links for the Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras Prestige Edition: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Chronicles-of-Darkness-Dark-Eras-Prestige-Edition.html
Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras Storytellers’ Screen: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Chronicles-of-Darkness-Dark-Eras-Storytellers-Screen.html
Deluxe Exalted 3rd Edition: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Exalted-3rd-Edition-Deluxe-Edition.html
Ultra-Deluxe (Orichalcum) Exalted 3rd Edition: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Exalted-3rd-Edition-Ultra-Deluxe.html
Exalted 3rd Edition Storytellers’ Screen: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Exalted-3rd-Edition-Storytellers-Screen.html
EX3 Chibi Bookmarks: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Exalted-3rd-Edition-Chibi-Bookmarks.html
EX3 Canvas Map of Creation: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Exalted-3rd-Edition-Map-of-Creation.html
Deluxe W20 Shattered Dreams: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/W20-Shattered-Dreams-Deluxe-Edition.html
W20 Shattered Dreams Storytellers’ Screen: http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/W20-Shattered-Dreams-Storytellers-Screen.html
Plus price adjustments on M20, Book of the Wyrm, Anarchs Unbound and a
few other projects!
Coming this Wednesday as both PDF and physical book PoD on DTRPG, we reveal The Secret of Vinsen’s Tomb, a Jumpstart adventure for Pugmire. www.drivethrurpg.com/product/232337/The-Secrets-of-Vinsens-Tomb–A-Pugmire-Jumpstart
A cat living in Pugmire disappears, but neither the police dogs nor the cats of the Cat Quarter know why. When zombies attack the heroes, however, all signs point to an invasion by the Monarchies of Mau. But how does this intrigue tie into the lost tomb of the first king of Pugmire?
The Secret of Vinsen’s Tomb is a Pugmire story for three to six characters. This jumpstart contains all the rules and characters you need to play — just grab some dice and go! You can also use this adventure with the full version of Pugmire.
The Secret of Vinsen’s Tomb contains:
• An evocative and mysterious setting that’s both family friendly and deep enough to create compelling stories.
• A summary of Pugmire’s traditional fantasy rules system. It’s designed for streamlined play, with an emphasis on cooperation and action over competition and violence.
• A complete adventure for a Guide to run for three to six players. Also useful for Guides running a full Pugmire game of first or second level characters!
• Six ready-to-play characters, so you can jump into the action.
Can your good dogs discover the secret of Vinsen’s Tomb?
Also available this Wednesday, are two physical PoD spell card packs and PDFs for Pugmire: the Artisans‘ and the Shepherds‘ spells.
Ask the darkness, and it shall answer: the Beast: The Primordial Player’s Guide Advance PDF will answer your questions when it goes live on DTRPG.com this Wednesday!
The Beast Player’s Guide expands on the material presented in Beast: The Primordial, with additional information on the Families and Hungers, what it feels like to be a Beast and experience the Devouring, and how to commune with the Dark Mother. You’ll also find two new Families and two new Hungers!
The book also includes a plethora of new Atavisms, Nightmares, Merits, and Birthrights, as well as systems for creating smaller, subservient versions of the Horror, new forms of Inheritance, and details on the mysterious Obcasus Rites.
There are some things that even a Demon fears – Night Horrors: Enemy Action for Demon: The Descent arrives as an Advance PDF this Wednesday on DTRPG.com!
“Fighting the Machine is like fighting the ocean. You literally cannot hurt it. Doesn’t matter how much poison we dump into the ocean. We’ll only kill the things in it. We’ll never kill it. Same with the God-Machine. Kill angels, traitors, stigmatics, cultists, cryptids, whatever, you’ll never hurt the Machine Itself. No, that doesn’t mean we stop trying. You stop trying, you drown. Screw that.”
—Mr. Bliss, Guardian Inquisitor
Night Horrors: Enemy Action includes:
• Dozens of Storyteller characters, including Unchained, angels, exiles, cryptids, and stigmatics, for use as antagonists, allies, or just inspiration
• Multiple plot hooks and story seeds for your Demon: The Descent chronicles
• A brief look at cults in Demon, including the Ten Thousand Names of God, a secret society fueled by the God-Machine
With a howl of RAGE, the W20 Changing Ways PDF and physical book PoD charges at you this Wednesday on DTRPG.com! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/229183/W20-Changing-Ways
Changing Ways is an in-depth look at what it means to be a werewolf, both on a personal level and as part of a pack. It digs deep into what it feels like to have bones re-knit after breaking, the range of senses available across all forms, and the sudden heady rush of the Gifts and Rites bestowed by spirits. It also provides a look at what life is like for lupus and metis werewolves, characters who have had experiences alien to any person. It shows the many ways that werewolves organize in packs, and how those packs are designed as groups of warriors, rather than aligned to the behavior of wolves.
Changing Ways contains:
• A detailed look at what it means to grow up as a lupus or metis werewolf, and how that colors a character’s perspective.
• More information on what it feels like to be a werewolf, a creature that changes in both body and mind.
• Frameworks and organizations for packs, along with new tactics and systems for forging the pack as part of play.
Appearing on DriveThruRPG this Wednesday are the PDF and PoD physical book versions of Arms of the Chosen for Exalted 3rd Edition! http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/226224/Arms-of-the-Chosen
Take up the panoply of legendary heroes and lost ages, and awaken the world-shaking might of their Evocations. Before the dawn of time, the Exalted wielded god-metal blades to cast down the makers of the universe. In an ancient epoch of forgotten glories, Creation’s greatest artificers forged unimaginable wonders and miracle-machines.
Now, in the Age of Sorrows, kingdoms go to war over potent artifacts, scavenger princes risk everything to uncover relics of the past, and the Exalted forge great arms and armor on the anvil of legend. These treasures are yours to master.
Discover the mystical power of the five magical materials and the secrets of creating your own Evocations. Wield weapons of fabled might and don the armor of mythic heroes, making their puissance your own. Claim Creation’s wonders: the miraculous tools of the Chosen, living automatons, flying machines, hearthstones, and more. And unleash the mighty warstriders, titanic god-engines of conquest and devastation, to once more shake Creation with their footfalls.
We unveil Vampire: The Requiem 2e‘s Half-Damned as PDF and PoD versions on DTRPG.com this Wednesday!
I love her, she’s family, but I don’t love what she is.
– Antonio Ramírez, dhampir
This book includes:
• An exploration of what it means to be one of the Half-Damned, dhampir, revenants or ghouls.
• Mechanics for creating Half-Damned characters.
• Information for creating and running chronicles using the various Half-Damned character types, both with vampires and alone.
• Information on Half-Damned antagonists for vampire chronicles.
A Land Where Legends Walk
Drawing enthusiastically on Greek mythology, the revised and re-imagined Scarred Lands nonetheless retains its place as a modern fantasy RPG setting. This is a world shaped by gods and monsters, and only the greatest of heroes can expect to be counted among them. The most populous continent of Scarn, Ghelspad, plays host to vast unexplored regions, hides unsolved riddles from ancient cultures, and taunts adventures with the promise of undiscovered riches hidden among the ruins of older civilizations.
Yet the myths of the Scarred Lands are relatively recent events. The effects of the Titanswar still ripple through the world, and the heroines and villains of many of these stories are part of living memory, if not still living.
The Award-Winning Fantasy Setting Returns
Scarred Lands has been a favorite fantasy setting since the release of the Creature Collection for the d20 System in 2000. In subsequent years, over 40 titles were published for Scarred Lands, making it one of the most fully supported fantasy RPG settings ever and the premiere product line of Sword & Sorcery Studios.
Available in both 5th Edition and Pathfinder compatible versions! PDF and PoD formats available NOW!
And now, the new project status updates!
DEVELOPMENT STATUS FROM FAST EDDY WEBB (projects in bold have changed status since last week):
First Draft (The first phase of a project that is about the work being done by writers, not dev prep)
- M20 Gods and Monsters (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Book of the Fallen (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- C20 Novel (Jackie Cassada) (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Deviant: The Renegades (Deviant: The Renegades)
- CofD Contagion Chronicle (Chronicles of Darkness)
- M20 The Technocracy Reloaded (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Victorian Mage (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Dystopia Rising: Evolution (Dystopia Rising: Evolution)
- Spilled Blood (Vampire: The Requiem 2nd Edition)
- CofD Dark Eras 2 (Chronicles of Darkness)
- Guide to the Night (Vampire: The Requiem 2nd Edition)
- WoD Ghost Hunters (World of Darkness)
- Tales of Good Dogs – Pugmire Fiction Anthology (Pugmire)
- Signs of Sorcery (Mage: the Awakening Second Edition)
- GtS Geist 2e core (Geist: the Sin-Eaters Second Edition)
- Night Horrors: The Tormented (Promethean: The Created 2nd Edition)
- Hunter: the Vigil 2e core (Hunter: the Vigil 2nd Edition)
- Fetch Quest (Pugmire)
- They Came From Beneath the Sea! Rulebook (TCFBtS!)
WW Manuscript Approval:
- Ex Novel 2 (Aaron Rosenberg) (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Exalted 3rd Novel by Matt Forbeck (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum: Aeon Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- Monarchies of Mau (Monarchies of Mau)
- Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition, featuring the Huntsmen Chronicle (Changeling: the Lost 2nd Edition)
- Dragon-Blooded (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Pan’s Guide for New Pioneers (Pugmire)
- The Realm (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Kithbook Boggans (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Scion: Hero (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum Core Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
ART DIRECTION FROM MIRTHFUL MIKE:
In Art Direction
Ex3 Monthly Stuff
- Scion Hero
- Changeling: the Lost 2 – Art is contracted.
Trinity Continuum – Reviewing TC:Aeon artnotes.
- Ex3 Dragon Blooded
- Boggans – Contracted.
- Monarchies of Mau – Sorting through buy and figuring out roster.
- Scarred Lands Community Content – Covers and knocking together a quick SV logo. Went back and attempted to make the templates easier and more explanatory…
- Scion Origin
- Wraith 20 Screen – Front approved… now waiting for errata phase to assemble all the charts.
- Fetch Quest – Taking some time this week to tweak the card design.
- Book of Freeholds – Off to Mark to put in page xx’s. I’m doing up the cover this week as well.
- Pugmire – Pan’s Explorer’s Guide (or whatever)
- Cavaliers of Mars – Art is in progress… but the layout is done and solid enough for Rose to proof.
- Beckett Screen – Shipped to shipper.
Scarred Land PGs & Wise and the Wicked PF & 5e – To fulfillment shipper. PDF and PoD physical book versions on sale at DTRPG. Dice are in, Adventures on their way.
- Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition) – Books and Screens created and are en route from printer to fulfillment shipper.
- Prince’s Gambit – At press.
- V20 Beckett’s Jyhad Diary– Deluxe edition files sent to printer.
- C20 Ready Made Characters – PoD proofs on the way.
Pugmire Artisan Cards – On sale this Wednesday.
- Pugmire Shepherd Cards – On sale this Wednesday.
Scion Dice Packaging – Shipping to fulfillment shipper.
- Wraith 20 – Backer PDF out, and errata is coming in.
- Ring of Spiragos – PoD versions on their way to KS fulfillment shipper.
- Pugmire Vinsen’s Tomb – On sale this Wednesday.
- Beast PG – Advance PDF on sale at DTRPG.com, errata coming in.
- DtD Enemy Action – Advance PDF on sale at DTRPG.com, errata coming in.
TODAY’S REASON TO CELEBRATE: BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH! (yeah, yeah, we all know that the day/date on the whole Ides thing slid around, so don’t bother writing in – just look out for guys with knives headed for you, okay?)