Long time readers of this blog might have noticed that we, or the tabletop RPG business as a whole, often have incidents occur during the course of a year that flare up on social media for one reason or the other that Onyx Path doesn’t really officially comment on. This isn’t an accident, as I don’t think a lot is gained by verbally sparring in social media while we have games and books that need to be created and made available to all of you folks.
This can be frustrating. I mean really, really, head is going to explode, frustrating. Particularly when ourselves or our friends are being attacked online.
But here is a statement I _do_ need to make officially, although I never thought it would have been necessary. It, in fact, squicks me out to think that the world needs to hear this, but since a whole bunch of folks have indicated that they’d feel a lot better if I said it, there you go:
Onyx Path is against Nazis. We do not support Nazis, and if you are reading this and self-identify as a Nazi, we don’t make these games for you. Don’t buy them, or steal them, or read them, or play them.
Simplistic and low-hanging fruit, maybe, but this is something I thought was painfully obvious about us. Yet, clearly it was not. Hence this statement, made in all seriousness to hopefully end any confusion, and starting us out today so that you, our loyal readers, know where we stand first.
And now we’ll get back to our usual mix of hi-jinks and project info.
Which brings us to: the dead!
The Geist: The Sin-Eaters 2nd Edition Kickstarter funded in less than a day last week, and now is smashing through Stretch Goals. Like a lot of our latest Kickstarters, we have the full text of the Geist 2e core book that we’re revealing to backers during the course of the month, and the Stretch Goals are for additional projects like a Companion or Ready Made Characters.
Both approaches are designed so that the production and release of the Geist 2e book is not delayed by finishing writing or adding writing to the book. Which has extended our production time on previous projects by far more than we wanted or planned for. We’ve been thrilled by everyone’s response to this Kickstarter so far, so if you haven’t had a chance but like engaging with a very positive and energized community of backers, please pop over.
And just to add another bit about the dead from a different gameline: Wraith: The Oblivion 20th PoD files are away at DTRPG, and we’ll be putting the intro booklet for Wr20, the Handbook for the Recently Deceased, on sale this Wednesday also at DTRPG.
Getting these projects to these stages is incredibly satisfying, as the Wraith 20th Kickstarter is one of the ones that taught us a lesson about having the finished text in hand since getting the book written was another unexpected ordeal.
Last Friday’s Onyx Pathcast was an interview with the multi-talented developer and writer Danielle Lauzon, and besides the very enjoyable interview itself, I think the various tales of life as a TTRPG freelancer (especially when listened to after the Pathcast the week before about freelancing in general) and Danielle’s experiences with other companies and developing Vampire: The Requiem 2e and 7th Sea projects concurrently, is an accurate and fascinating peek into the way our projects are created.
To stress the point, perhaps unnecessarily, most of our projects are created by freelance contract writers, developers, editors, artists, etc. That creates a very different working environment and challenges than the old school RPG company in a building with everyone on-staff and down the hall from each other. We’re continually trying to find better ways to do it and to keep our creators sane (ish) while we all work from offices in different parts of the world.
This Friday on the Onyx Pathcast, Eddy, Matthew, and Dixie will be talking about two Realms of Pugmire projects and the different challenges and levels of experimentation that went into them: it’s “Dissecting Pan’s Guide and Monarchies of Mau“.
Hope you all can take some time and listen, and remember: they’re talking about…
Many Worlds, One Path!
The Geist: The Sin-Eaters 2nd Edition Kickstarter began a week ago and has funded and passed several Stretch Goals to build a companion book, the Memento Mori, as I write this. We want to be able to make a great looking hardcover edition, and get that into stores while giving backers first look at the complete text and other fun benefits: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/geist-the-sin-eaters-2nd-edition
Geist: The Sin-Eaters 2nd Edition includes all the rules you need to play as one of the Bound: Five Burdens reflecting the cause that pulled you back from the grave, five krewe Archetypes for building your own mystery religion, and the Haunts, Keys, and Ceremonies that provide the Bound with their macabre powers.
It also includes the Chronicle of the Dead, featuring the Sin-Eaters’ struggle against the all-consuming Underworld and a variety of terrifying threats. In addition, for the first time in the Chronicles of Darkness line, ghosts are presented as playable characters.
- The Quick and the Dead: the five Burdens (the reason a Sin-Eater comes back from the dead and what draws a particular geist to them) and krewe Archetypes (the common cause that draws a krewe of Sin-Eaters together).
- The Road Back: On death and coming back, and why Bound make the Bargain, including possible consequences.
- One Foot in the Grave: Character creation, with sections on both geist and krewe creation, Anchors, Merits, Synergy, Plasm, Abilities, Haunts, Keys, Ceremonies, and Mementos.
- Old Laws: the core Chronicles of Darkness rules, with special rules for playing Sin-Eaters, as well as information on subsystems for krewes, ghosts, and the Underworld, including Avernian Gates.
- Antagonists: villains for your Geist chronicle, including Reapers, Eaters of the Dead, necromancers, enemy Bound, and Kerberoi.
- The Quiet Places: Setting information and story hooks for playing your Geist chronicle in specific times and places in history., from 16th-century Brazil to modern-day Edinburgh, Scotland to Mobile, Alabama in 1910, as well as information on Dominions.
- Ghost Stories: Storyteller advice and information for running a Geist chronicle, including designing Remembrances, how to set theme and mood, story seeds, and various ways to play out the end of a game.
- Appendix: The Absent: This Appendix details the Absent, playable ghosts, including Memories, new Merits, and a collection of possible ghost characters to expand on and use in your chronicle.
- Appendix: Conditions and Tilts: Geist-specific Conditions and Tilts, including ephemeral Influence Conditions and Manifestation Conditions for ghosts, as well as Haunt Conditions and Tilts.
As we find ways to enable our community to more easily play our games, the Onyx Dice Rolling App is now live! Our dev team has been doing updates since we launched based on the excellent use-case comments by our community, and this thing is both rolling and rocking!
Here are the links for the Apple and Android versions:
Three different screenshots, above.
ON AMAZON AND BARNES & NOBLE:
You can now read our fiction from the comfort and convenience of your Kindle (from Amazon) and Nook (from Barnes & Noble).
If you enjoy these or any other of our books, please help us by writing reviews on the site of the sales venue you bought it from. Reviews really, really help us with getting folks interested in our amazing fiction!
Our selection includes these fiction books:
- Vampire: The Masquerade: The Endless Ages Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse: Rites of Renown: When Will You Rage II (Kindle, Nook)
- Mage: The Ascension: Truth Beyond Paradox (Kindle, Nook)
- Chronicles of Darkness: The God-Machine Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Mummy: The Curse: Curse of the Blue Nile (Kindle, Nook)
- Beast: The Primordial: The Primordial Feast Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Vampire: The Masquerade: Of Predators and Prey: The Hunters Hunted II Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse: The Poison Tree (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse: Songs of the Sun and Moon: Tales of the Changing Breeds (Kindle, Nook)
- Vampire: The Requiem: The Strix Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Forsaken: The Idigam Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Mage: The Awakening: The Fallen World Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Vampire: The Masquerade: The Beast Within Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse: W20 Cookbook (Kindle, Nook)
- Exalted: Tales from the Age of Sorrows (Kindle, Nook)
- Chronicles of Darkness: Tales of the Dark Eras (Kindle, Nook)
- Promethean: The Created: The Firestorm Chronicle Anthology (Kindle, Nook)
- Demon: The Descent: Demon: Interface (Kindle, Nook)
- Scarred Lands: Death in the Walled Warren (Kindle, Nook)
- V20 Dark Ages: Cainite Conspiracies (Kindle, Nook)
- Chronicles of Darkness: Strangeness in the Proportion (Kindle, Nook)
- Vampire: The Requiem: Silent Knife (Kindle, Nook)
- Mummy: The Curse: Dawn of Heresies (Kindle, Nook)
OUR SALES PARTNERS:
We’re working with Studio2 to get Pugmire out into stores, as well as to individuals through their online store. You can pick up the traditionally printed main book, the Screen, and the official Pugmire dice through our friends there!
Looking for our Deluxe or Prestige Edition books? Try this link! http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Onyx-Path-Publishing/
Here’s the link to the press release we put out about how Onyx Path is now selling through Indie Press Revolution: http://theonyxpath.com/press-release-onyx-path-limited-editions-now-available-through-indie-press-revolution/
And you can now order Pugmire: the book, the screen, and the dice! http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=296
The Handbook for the Recently Deceased for Wraith 20th materializes at DTRPG this Wednesday in its PDF and physical book PoD forms…
Handbook for the Recently Deceased is a guide for those who are new to the Underworld – players, Shadowguides, and Storytellers alike. It offers advice on how to handle new players, new wraiths, and new chronicles, all with an eye towards the inexperienced at being restless dead.
From the first words of the Shadow, to the first Harrowing, to the first time a player asks, “What do we do now?” the Handbook has the answers. Let it be your guide to the Underworld as you set foot in the Shadowlands for what could be the first time.
Handbook for the Recently Deceased includes:
• Chronicle ideas for campaigns featuring new wraiths — and new players.
• Advice on handling first Catharsis and first Harrowings.
• Helpful hints and suggestions for players just starting out in the world of Wraith: The Oblivion.
Prep is seriously underway for Gen Con 2018 in less than a month during the first week of August, in Indianapolis. In addition to our booth presence, be sure to check out the games and panels in the Gen Con Event Schedule.
From Fast Eddy Webb, we have these:
If you are going and want to meet up, let us know!
And now, the new project status updates!
DEVELOPMENT STATUS FROM FAST EDDY WEBB (projects in bold have changed status since last week):
First Draft (The first phase of a project that is about the work being done by writers, not dev prep)
- M20 Book of the Fallen (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- C20 Novel (Jackie Cassada) (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 The Technocracy Reloaded (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- M20 Victorian Mage (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Trinity Continuum: Aberrant core (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
- Tales of Excellent Cats (Monarchies of Mau)
- Scion Companion: Mysteries of the World (Scion 2nd Edition)
- City of the Towered Tombs (Cavaliers of Mars)
- Changeling: The Lost 2nd Companion (Changeling: The Lost 2nd)
- Night Horrors: Nameless and Accursed (Mage: the Awakening Second Edition)
- Heirs to the Shogunate (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Witch-Queen of the Shadowed Citadel (Cavaliers of Mars)
- Deviant: The Renegades (Deviant: The Renegades)
- Spilled Blood (Vampire: The Requiem 2nd Edition)
- Wr20 Book of Oblivion (Wraith: The Oblivion 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Changeling: The Lost 2nd Jumpstart (Changeling: The Lost 2nd)
- Lunars: Fangs at the Gate (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Adventures for Curious Cats (Monarchies of Mau)
- CofD Dark Eras 2 (Chronicles of Darkness)
- WoD Ghost Hunters (World of Darkness)
- Tales of Good Dogs – Pugmire Fiction Anthology (Pugmire)
- Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon (Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd Edition)
- Aeon Aexpansion (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
- C20 Players’ Guide (Changeling: the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition)
- In Media Res (Trinity Continuum: Core)
- Signs of Sorcery (Mage: the Awakening Second Edition)
- Hunter: the Vigil 2e core (Hunter: the Vigil 2nd Edition)
- Fetch Quest (Pugmire)
- CofD Contagion Chronicle (Chronicles of Darkness)
- Dystopia Rising: Evolution (Dystopia Rising: Evolution)
- Dog and Cat Ready Made Characters (Monarchies of Mau)
- They Came From Beneath the Sea! Rulebook (TCFBtS!)
- Scion: Hero (Scion 2nd Edition)
- Trinity Continuum Core Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- Trinity Continuum: Aeon Rulebook (The Trinity Continuum)
- Ex Novel 2 (Aaron Rosenberg) (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- Exalted 3rd Novel by Matt Forbeck (Exalted 3rd Edition)
- GtS Geist 2e core (Geist: the Sin-Eaters Second Edition)
- M20 Gods and Monsters (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Night Horrors: The Tormented (Promethean: The Created 2nd Edition)
- Guide to the Night (Vampire: The Requiem 2nd Edition)
- Monarchies of Mau (Monarchies of Mau)
ART DIRECTION FROM MIRTHFUL MIKE:
In Art Direction
- Ex3 Monthly Stuff
- Trinity Continuum
- The Realm
- M20 Gods and Monsters
Ex3 Dragon Blooded
- VtR – Guide to the Night
- Dystopia Rising: Evolution
- Posters and Displays
- Fetch Quest
- Scion Hero
- Cavaliers of Mars Cards
- Promethean Night Horrors: The Tormented – Sending files to KT.
- Changeling: the Lost 2 – Page xx’s getting filled in. Cover is done.
- Scion Dice – At fulfillment shipper.
- Monarchies of Mau – In Indexing.
- Monarchies of Mau Screen – Printing.
- Cavaliers of Mars Screen – Printing.
- Wr20 Guide for Newly Departed – PoD and PDF versions on sale Wednesday.
- Gen Con Buttons – At press.
- WoD and CofD reroll cards – At press.
- FQ and PG Gen Con cards – At press.
- Wraith 20 Screen – Printing.
- GenCon Brochure – Printing.
- Storypath Brochure – Printing.
- Wraith 20th – PoD files uploaded.
- Scion Origin – Backer PDF going to backers this week.
- Cavaliers of Mars – Sent to press.
TODAY’S REASON TO CELEBRATE: Been informed I’m going to be a grandparent by the end of the year. So that is pretty joyous!